Pages

Wednesday 10 April 2013

My running every day malarky

I'm often asked why I run every day - well actually I'm never ever asked, but lets pretend that I am for one little minute - and really the answer is quite simple; its because I want too. I don't think it makes me a better runner than somebody running perhaps the same distance, but with a rest day or two thrown in. Equally I don't think it does me any harm either. I started doing it in August 2011 and, although the first month from memory seemed fairly tough, I sort of got used to it fairly quickly and nowadays it just feels, well, normal. 

It helps that I need to take Harry out for a run each and every evening in the week, especially so in the winter when I have to do my evening runs in the dark, often in crap weather and head torched up. Harry for sure really helps motivate me to get out the door but, when you think about it, he needs a run anyway so I may as well run with him while he's at it. 

I haven't set myself any minimum distance that I have to run for it to count as a daily run by the way, so I can happily take the piss if I want to and go for a mile or so and feel content that my running streak continues. That said my shortest run this year has been something like 2½ miles and my average daily distance is 6½ miles. In fact my average for the whole of last year, and again for this year so far, is around the 6½ miles per day mark with an average daily ascent of getting on for 1.200 feet. So, which ever way you look at it, I'm not taking the piss!

Anyway me and the boy had a lovely 7 mile run out for today's daily doings over Giggleswick Scar to Smearsett Scar trig before returning to Settle via Stainforth Foss and along the Ribble. An especially favourite route of Harry's as he really loves swimming in the Ribble:

Going over Nevison's Nick(?) towards Gig Scar

Once past the initial climbs there's some fast running to be had

Wind battered tree

Harry not far from the trig point above Smearsett

The trig above Smearsett Scar with Pen y Ghent lurking in the gloom beyond

Harry girding his loins for the plunge

Aqua stick fetching, Harry style

Bouncy lambs

Ze route

1 comment:

  1. You can also take credit for inspiring lots of people to do the same so hats off to you Stolly ;-)
    .... Errr not that I'm running every day anymore mind you, but I have got my all terrain, full suspension buggy on order!!!

    ReplyDelete